Defense of victims

ExpertisesDefense of victims

If you were the victim of a crime, Delphine MEILLET can assist you throughout the legal procedure.

In order to exercise your rights, and have the person responsible for the damage you suffered convicted, you first need to file a complaint either at a police station, or by mail addressed to the “Procureur de la République” (District Attorney).

The police will then investigate to find the culprit and have him appear before a court.

If the « procureur » chooses not to investigate, you have several options to seek justice:

You can take the case directly to the competent court, be it a “tribunal de police” or “tribunal correctionnel”, through a “citation directe”. However, you need to already have sufficient evidence, since there will be no further investigation and your case will be tried as is.

You can bring your case to an examining magistrate through a “plainte avec constitution de partie civile”. This option is only valid if the “procureur de la République” has refused to investigate, or has remained silent for at least three months.

Regarding your right to compensation following the damage cause by the crime you suffered, it is strongly advised to go through specialized organisms, as a criminal trial can take a long time before money is awarded to you:

The CIVI (Commission d’Indemnisation des Victimes d’Infraction), which deals with:

  • Crimes which caused death, a permanent disability, or a work disability longer than one month
  • Sexual offenses or human trafficking

The SARVI (Service d’Aide au recouvrement des Victimes), which deals with victims that have suffered damage to themselves or their belongings, and who cannot be compensated by the CIVI.

There are other organisms that are specialized in specific crimes : the FGAO (Fonds de Garantie des Assurances Obligatoires de dommages), the FGTI (Fonds de Garantie des victimes des actes de Terrorisme et d’autres Infractions) for acts of terrorism, and the FIVA (Fonds d’Indemnisation des Victimes de l’Amiante) for asbestos-related injuries.

Delphine MEILLET can represent and assist you when dealing with the relevant organism in order to guarantee that you are compensated fairly for the damage you suffered.

Defense of perpetrators

You were arrested by the police for committing a crime? You need to be assisted by a lawyer, whose expertise in criminal procedure make sure that your rights are respected. Delphine MEILLET is specialized in criminal law, and can therefore follow your case in all stages of the procedure.